If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Friday, March 20, 2009

A Broken Neck and A Broken Heart



Last Saturday night at band practice, I got my foot caught in the instrument cable and pulled my Gibson SG bass guitar off onto the floor, fracturing the neck at the headstock. Nobody's fault but mine!


Now not only does my guitar have a broken neck, I also have a broken heart. It is a real Gibson, and it is expensive, but it's a lot more than that. My sweet wifey gave me this instrument and I had one similar to it when I played back in the 60's and 70's so there is a lot of sentimental value attached to this thing.

Fortunately, there is a guy over in the next county who repairs guitars and the lead guitar player in our band had the same thing happen to his 6 string SG. Our guitar player says this injury can be repaired with glue, however I am wondering if replacement of the neck is a better option. Anyway I am taking my baby to the guitar hospital Monday for an examination. If push comes to shove, the Gibson factory is in Nashville and I'll take her there.

Evidently, this is not an unusual occurrence with Gibsons of this variety. They are made out of mahogany which accounts for the deep tone of the bass. Problem with mahogany is that it is heavy (trust me) and brittle making it prone to fracture.

I still have my Fender Mustang bass, and it is a fine instrument indeed but things just won't be the same until my SG is back on stage again.

Woe is me!

2 comments:

  1. Don't be sad, you will get her fixed good as new. The sooner the better.

    Debbie Hamilton
    Right Truth

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwwwwww...our son is a musical instrument wizard - he can fix just about any instrument with ordinary household "fix-it" items - he tried to fix a cheap guitar for his sister (broken neck), but it didn't do so well - hope your experience is more fruitful.

    ReplyDelete