If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Friday, July 10, 2009

What I Believe - Creation or Evolution???


If you believe in a personal living God, I am not sure how you discount the idea of creation in favor of pure evolution or any other explanation that posits that life occurred by some natural process without divine intervention. The war between creation and evolution has of course raged on for many years. Most on the far left (not all probably) poo poo the idea of creation. Most of them poo poo the idea of God Almighty, and therefore rely on evolution or some other secular method to explain our being. Indeed many of them become enraged at the idea that we even mention the notion of creation to school children. Much of this I am sure is tied to their view on abortion. Again if one believes in a personal living God, and believes that humans are endowed with a soul, then it would be tough to square the belief that abortion is acceptable. This is where many of them get into trouble. They want to have it both ways, professing to be God fearing people on one hand, while on the other hand screaming at the top of their lungs that a woman has the right to choose even if it means the murder of another human being. Alas, I digress. Go read my previous post on abortion.

Conversely I have known some I would tag “Christian Fundamentalists” that become enraged at an idea that denies that heaven and earth were created in six days and that God rested on the seventh. Anything else is heresy.

The irony of all of this is that in spite of all the hand ringing, howling, and caterwauling from either side, there is no way to prove nor disprove either position.

So what do I believe? I certainly believe there is a personal living God. I also believe in creation. I cannot prove His existence. I cannot prove that creation was the way we came into being. I have to take that on faith. You can argue against my position until you are blue in the face, but you will not convince me otherwise. Furthermore, you cannot prove me wrong!

Creation of Adam

I do not necessarily believe in a literal six day creation. The evidence against this to me is pretty convincing. First of all, we have to ask ourselves, what does a DAY mean to Almighty God? To us a day means the time it takes for the earth to rotate once on its axis, 24 hours. If we lived on Venus, our single day would be 243 earth days long. On Jupiter a day is slightly less than 10 earth hours. So our notion of a day is due entirely to our perspective on earth. I betcha that Moses when he wrote the Genesis account of creation would have had a hard time understanding the concept of a day in terms of earth rotation. Back then there was no understanding of the earth, the sun, and the planets as we understand them today. Therefore, I profess that our 24 hour earth day means nothing to an infinite God who in fact is responsible for the whole universe.

Moses! Moses!

Secondly, what does time as we know it mean to an infinite God anyway? I believe that God always has been and always will be. To God, time is inconsequential. I know, it’s a hard concept for us mere mortals to grasp. So God told Moses about creation in terms of “days” simply for our benefit, to make an infinite concept understandable.

Albert Einstein

Thirdly, what is time anyway? Einstein proved that time is different for everyone in the universe. Time is different for someone flying through space compared to someone standing still. Time is different for someone standing on a large mass with lots of gravity compared with someone floating free in space, so WHAT TIME IS IT?


Fourthly, the geological evidence of an earth billions of years old is substantial. We have evidence of continents that have shifted over the globe for millions of years. We have fossil evidence of many prehistoric creatures that have come and gone long before we got here. I have a friend that believes in a literal six day creation. He declares that the appearance of a prehistoric earth is an illusion created also by God. Great theory and certainly possible, but once again he can’t prove this. If this is the case I wonder why God would create such an illusion in the first place? He first tells us that heaven and earth were created in six days and then creates evidence to the contrary? Sorry, I’m going to stick with my non-literal creation belief for now.


So what about evolution? Well, many of those on the left will have a hissy-fit at the suggestion that evolution is not occurring. Unfortunately, they have no solid proof of their position. I do not discount the existence of evolution, and I think evolution may very well have been a tool by which our Creator molded things into being over millions of years. To emphatically state that one species gave rise to another however is a specious argument at best. There is just simply no fossil evidence of the missing links.

One Theory of Man's Evolution

There is no doubt that the species of plants and animals are structurally related. Vertebrate animals all have backbones (except for our spineless politicians in Washington). My dog has a four chambered heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys, just like me. Some other animals have 3 chambered hearts or 2 chambered hearts. Even an earthworm has a rudimentary circulatory system, but to say that one species beget another is a stretch. It would be like saying that a Volkswagen gave rise to a Cadillac, but there is no doubt that they had a common ancestor in the Model T Ford.

It would be great if evolution were a nice gradual process that occurred over millions of years and left nice varieties of missing link fossils so that scientists could prove a smooth orderly progression from the lowly amoeba to human beings. Unfortunately, it did not work that way. A thing that I find amazing is that there have been several periods throughout prehistory of mass extinctions, whole systems of flora and fauna have appeared over periods encompassing millions of years only to be exterminated by some catastrophic event. Slowly but surely, after each mass extinction, life has returned usually in quite different forms than had been before.

Another More Likely Theory of Man's Evolution

So I certainly believe that evolution and natural selection exist and are tools used by our Creator to make our world what it is today, but I don’t believe things just happened at random without divine direction. Even the strict evolutionist/atheist will hit a stump when presented with the question of how did the very first life begin? It’s pretty hard for me to swallow the notion that a stew of hydrogen, oxygen, methane, and ammonia, and a few other ingredients got together and then a lightning bolt comes and POOF life begins. Aristotle came up with the idea of spontaneous generation which postulated that inanimate objects could suddenly give rise to living creatures, and marveled that putrefied material would give rise to living things (maggots and flies I guess). We know that Aristotle was wrong about this but maybe he was onto something at the micro-cellular level. I believe that the guiding hand of God indeed put together all those elements necessary for life.

I don’t profess to know how He did it, but I can still gaze into the night sky and let my imagination run wild. How about life on other planets? Boy that's a topic for another post!

"I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God."

6 comments:

  1. I applaud you. One of the best posts I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I great post about a never-ending question. I think the more complex we see life is the more certain we should be that its not by accident that we are here. However, in the time we live in, science has become the new god. And most worship the test tube and the computor chip. Einstein once said, "I could be bounded in a nutshell and call myself king of infinate space".
    The world of the bubble does exist for many, but most wonder about things "out there" and I should say "in there" for infinity goes in both directions. I once had a friend who has since passed away who said, "where the big meets the small there we will find the answer to it all". A cute thought, but one that when you think about it may be logical. One could go on and on about this. A thoughtful post and an insight to your thinking about life and where man stands in the grand scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lizzard and Ron. Hope I got you both to do a little extra thinking about things. It's fun just to gaze back through time at the stars and wonder, "What if?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on this.

    The true Hebrew, or Aramaic, translation of Genesis is that "the earth BECAME void", which would indicate that something was here prior to the Genesis creation story.

    Also as to time, a day is as a thousand years to God and vice versa, so we have no way of knowing. A day could have meant an AGE in God's terms.

    Debbie

    Right Truth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, this is part of what is called the 'gap' theory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you think that you will die and that is the end of it then wait till you read this. You will be surprised to learn that the religious
    contention that man will rise from the grave is not just a myth or wishful thinking but is based on real scientific principles. Rising up
    from the grave and coming back alive can happen simply with the reversal of time.

    The world (but not the universe) can end because of earthquake, tsunami, meteor strike, nuclear war, supernova, and some other
    natural or man made disaster. These are however just local ends that have nothing to do with The Day of Judgment. End will also not
    happen on any arbitrary date like December 2012. The end of the universe is an entirely different phenomenon that is built into the
    laws of the universe by the creator. The contraction of the universe with reversal of time and gravity will commence the beginning of the
    end which will last for thousands and possibly millions of years. We will be removed from the regressing effects of reversed time as we
    come back alive in our own time. We will the be taken across many dimensions to beyond this universe. A beautiful natural
    mechanism that is based on the laws of physics will cause all that to happen. This real end has nothing to do with wishful thinking and
    predictions of priests or shamans.

    ReplyDelete