If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Taking the Plunge!

Well, I'm excited. I've finally decided to take the plunge. Yesterday I ordered a 17 inch MacBook Pro. I've seen all the ads on TV. I've read lotsa good stuff about Macs. I've heard friends and acquaintances say that if you ever go Mac, you'll never go back. After all the money I just spent, I hope that stuff about Macs is correct.

I got a recording program called Pro Tools Audio with which to record tracks for the band. Pro Tools is a very powerful and advanced program and the power of the Mac along with an external firewire drive is necessary to take advantage of the full features of the program so I had an excellent excuse to take the plunge.

I'll have to say that I'm pretty sick of Windows Vista. XP was a lot better. I'm sick and tired of a dialog box appearing at inopportune times, telling me some updater has just fired up. When I tell it to cancel, the damned thing asks me at least a couple of times if I really want to quit. It's like it doesn't believe me, kinda like a stubborn telemarketer who won't hang up when you tell him you're not interested.

Then there's the box that pops up and tells me the computer is about to reboot in 3 minutes to put into effect the updates it just downloaded.

Then it's SLOW........and SLOWER and sometimes even SLOOOOOOOOOWER.

Sometimes it seems like the whole computer freezes up. I'll push buttons and nothing happens. Then I'll notice the drive light is on and the drive is constantly running. What the hell is the computer doing during all this time? After a couple of minutes, the drive light goes off and the computer wakes up again.

And it's always fun when you reboot and you find that some of your setting have been changed. You never know when this is gonna happen. It just surprises you.

My new Mac is on a 3 week backorder through Musician's Friend. I probably could have gotten one right away through Best Buy but my sweet wifey had gotten me a Musician's Friend gift certificate for my birthday. She's so sweet!

I can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. I hope you like it too sweetie. My laptop has XP on it and I do like it better than Vista. I can't wait to see how the MAC works, I've never had the pleasure.

    Enjoy!

    Deborah F. Hamilton
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll stick with XP. I was pretty sure when Bill Gates left that the 'that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard' crowd would take over. When WMP Ver 11 appeared as a download, I tried it. It's the worst POS I've ever seen and I rolled back to 10. My friends HATE Vista. MS has shot itself in the balls, as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, OM, I applaud you for your audacity. Good luck in finding any software W.A.S. Lemmee know how ye's likes it. BTW, Trixie, you're right, Vista bites the big one, XP still rocks. I have high hopes for Windows 7, but time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ptaddw, I'm waiting for the new world of apple.

    Lizzard, I'm sure I'll find many programs. My main use for the Mac is studio recording. Pro Tools audio was written with the Mac in mind.

    ReplyDelete