If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Thursday, September 3, 2009

What Part of "shall not be infringed" do they not Understand? - Followup

I sent a letter to the editor of the local newspaper concerning the county commission's ruling to "opt out" of a law which would permit us to carry guns in county owned facilities (like we need their permission). Go HERE to read my original post.

Several people sent letters and all of them took my position that carry in these facilities should be allowed. If there were dissenting letters, they did not print them.

I had to let out a big SIGH when I read the comment by one of the Decaturville aldermen regarding the Decaturville City Park. Here it is:

“There is no good reason why anyone would want to carry a gun in our city park,” Alderman Melvin Taylor said at the August meeting. “It’s not a place where you would expect crime to happen.”

Well now, how does alderman Taylor know this? Can he guarantee that some nut won't show up at the city park and start hosing down the little kiddies with a rifle? No, he can't. I am sure that a similar mentality was in force at Virginia Tech before the massacre there. People with the naivety of alderman Taylor do not need to be serving in gubment. People like this are dangerous.

I hope maybe the county commission will rethink this action now that they have seen how much opposition there is to their decision. You can visit the Decatur County Chronicle to read the whole story.

It's like I told Senator Bob Corker, most people around here cling to conservative beliefs, even those who claim to be Democrats. A politician who nurtures those beliefs among the people will be successful and the country will win as well.

3 comments:

  1. We will remember those that stood against our constitutional rights and we will vote them out.

    Deborah F. Hamilton
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to sound strange and contradictory to you but!
    I am an avid gun owner.
    I am a member of the NRA!
    I have guns!
    I believe in the second amendment!
    I believe it is my God given, constitutional right to keep and bear arms!
    NOW! Having said that, let me tell you, that I have been as part of my learning years, been a sworn police officer.
    Now, granted, I was a police officer in a small town. I knew almost EVERYBODY in town.
    BUT!!! Having had children who played TEE BALL, having been in a city park as both a parent and as a police officer both, I DO NOT and WILL NOT subscribe to the theory that any gun toting, licensed gun owner should ever have the right to carry a concealed firearm to a city or public park!
    Sorry, folks, but I have witnessed firsthand the FRENZY, that parents can and will get into over a possibly bad call about little Johnnies last time at bat! I'm sorry, but parents will go CRAZY! I, as a parent or as a police officer, do not want to have to worry about which nut may, or may not , be packing!
    There you have it!
    I think I have the right to go armed!
    I don't think I should have the right to go to a city park with a gun!
    Figure it out if you can, I have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Lizzard, but you can't have it both ways. The 2nd amendment does not say, "...shall not be infringed except in city parks and at tee ball games." If some nut is there that's gonna pull a gun at a tee ball game then that nut should be arrested and prosecuted and forever lose his right to carry.

    It is a tactic of the left to take rights away from all of us in the name of protecting us from a few weirdos. When you start making exceptions to the constitution, you open the door for its destruction.

    Rest assured that if you see me at a city park, there is almost a 100 percent chance I'll be packing. Nobody will ever know the difference unless some kook decides to try and unleash harm upon my glorious naked body. If they wanna arrest me for defending myseff in a city park, fine......better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

    ReplyDelete