If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Emergency Preparedness, Lost Creek Style

Well, I guess I'm a little bit old to qualify as a Boy Scout, but I'm prepared nevertheless. Here's a picture of my brand new 7500 watt, electric start, portable generator:

Our old generator was just that, OLD. It also had a leak in the gas tank and was a recoil start, so sweet wifey with her puny little bug muscles was not able to start it. We had had the old unit for as long as we have lived here, 13 years, so I thought it was probably time to upgrade.

The new generator weighs 233 pounds so with my bad back and her puny bug muscles I had to come up with a plan. I met the truck driver in town yesterday and he helped me slide it into the back of my pickup from his semi.

Today.....after the rain stopped......I assembled the generator in the back of the truck. Then I carefully backed the truck up to the landing of the porch, constructed a ramp from scrap lumbar, and rolled the beast to its final resting place.

During the assembly, sweet wifey called my attention to something interesting on the wheels:

Take a close look at the writing on the tire:
"Not for highway use"

Now you know what happened. Some redneck hooked the generator to the back of his truck and went driving off down the highway, no doubt leading to some kind of disaster.

I am sure the redneck who doesn't have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of, but nevertheless has a lawyer, sued Honeywell because they failed to warn him not to hook the generator up to his pickup truck. YOU JUST KNOW IT HAD TO HAPPEN!

Anyway, sweet wifey and I had a good laugh.

We have tons of trees all over the place here. I dread the thought of a major ice storm during the winter, with no power for weeks. In 13 years it has not happened, but I have a feeling in my bones that our luck may be running thin, you know with all that massive man made global warming????

Anyway, now we'll have a backup to at least run the fridge and the freezer. We have natural gas heat and a millivolt thermostat (no commercial power required to fire the furnace), so we should be fine there. In a real pinch I also have a 23000 BTU kerosene heater. Oh yeah, we also have a propane cook stove. So hopefully even in the worst situation we'll have heat and food and a few lights.

PREPARED! PREPARED! PREPARED!

PS: I donated the old generator to the ham radio club.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, been listening to me have ya?
    BE PREPARED!
    I spent too many years in the Boy Scouts, pre queer, homo, whatever scouts!
    I have a generator, nacheral gas line, kerosene, solar cell, whatever......
    Bad as I dislike Hank Jr's lifestyle, A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we have the push button starter on the generator. It's all I can do with my puny arms to get the leaf blower cranked up every few days to clear away all these leaves. If it will ever dry up, I can get out and clear them away again.

    I don't think I have ever seen so much rain in the Fall in Tennessee.

    Sweet hubby is no grouch!

    Deborah F. Hamilton
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's me, Lizzard, always prepared. I'm glad I gonna give your sweet bug muscles a rest Honey Pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its going to be a cold winter. Shot a squirrel the other day at the farm and the fur was very thick, much more than last year. Nature is a better predictor than all the so-called experts. Sounds like you are ready for the cold one coming!

    ReplyDelete