If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Monday, October 12, 2009

A Good Start


Well at long last and after much weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, I finally got my MacBook Pro computer from Musician's Friend. A word to the wise, don't ever order a computer from Musician's Friend. In fact I've about decided I'll never order anything else from Musician's Friend. I have never been treated so badly by a retailer.

Anyway, I unboxed it, looked at the tiny manual which I could barely see, hit the power button, and away we go. It sat there and churned with an Apple logo on the screen for a couple of minutes. Then it automatically found my wireless network, asked me if that was the network I wanted and then sent me to the Apple website for registration. In about 15 minutes I was up and running and surfing the web. Sweet Wifey (she is so sweet) looked over and said, "You mean you've got it going already?"

She grumbled that it took her most of a day to get her Dell PC going.

The interface is somewhat different than Windows XP but it is quite intuitive and the reading of a manual is really not required which is a good thing since I can't see it. I'm going to put Pro Tool audio on it tomorrow and begin a Herculean effort to understand and master that very complicated program.

The new technology lithium ion battery is impressive. It is supposed to run the machine for as long as 8 hours without a recharge. I believe it. I fooled with the computer all day today on battery power and when I finally shut it down tonight it still had 30 percent remaining. If my old Compaq laptop lasted an hour on battery I was lucky. This will be nice when I'm lugging it to band practice for recording. Sometimes convenient 110 volt receptacles are in short supply.

So I'm a happy camper and I hope I stay that way. Just say NO to Musician's Friend.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you like the new Mac. It sounds like a dream to use.

    I'm depending on this Dell to last for at least 2 more years, since I spent almost $300.00 for a two year extended warranty, extended my virus protection and Carbonite on it for two years.

    Deborah F. Hamilton
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the new toy Grouch. I know little about computers and have always had dells. Just got a new one several months ago and its much faster than the old one that was starting to give me many problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that I find interesting is that it only takes it a few seconds to boot up and shut down. Not a couple of minutes each way like my Windows computers. I've always wondered what the Windows machines were doing during all that time.

    ReplyDelete