If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

More Retro Stuff

I'd like to add to my thoughts old stuff from the 50's, 60's, and 70's being cooler than stuff today. See my previous post.

First of all there were TV shows, many of them in black and white. Black and white shows are cooler than color shows......they are different with a unique quality all their own. Some of my favorite TV shows were Sky King, Highway Patrol (cool old cars), Whirlybirds, Ripcord, Combat, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Jackie Gleason (the Honeymooners), Red Skelton.......I could go on. You just don't have good stuff like that anymore. With most of that stuff you could just disconnect from the world and smile and be entertained.

How about some of the long gone great actors? Humphrey Bogart, Yul Brynner, Charlton Heston, John Wayne, Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, Henry Fonda, the list goes on. Those guys are dead and gone, always remembered but never to return or be replaced. You just don't findem like that today.

Old guitars and amps, tube amps. Old Gibson SG's and Les Pauls, old Stratocasters and Telecasters. Old super reverb and twin reverb amps. Old Hammond organs with the mechanical tonewheels. Yeah, I know you can find reasonable facsimiles of all those today, but the new just doesn't quite stand up to the old sound wise. Old musical instruments are SOOOOOO COOL.

No Beatles, no Cream, no Grand Funk Railroad, no Creedence Clearwater Revival. Two of the Who are dead. Two of the Beatles are dead. Elvis Presley is dead. They have not and never will be replaced.

Back then you could actually drive from point A to point B with only your thoughts. If you had to make a phone call, God forbid, you'd have to stop at a phone booth. No such thing as cell calls and texting. Somehow it seemed so much simpler then.

Let's face it. I'm just a retro kind of guy........stuck in a time warp I guess. That's okay. I like being stuck.

1 comment:

  1. Feeling nostalgic my sweet?

    I have to agree with you on the musicians and music groups. I could not name you one current group that I care anything about.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete