If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Retro is Where it's at

I was just surfing around and found this picture. It's a Kustom 200 bass amplifier. It is covered in Naugahyde. Pretty cool looking doncha think? I had one of these when I played bass guitar back in the late 60's and early 70's. I can't say it was a great amp. The one I have now is no doubt a whole lot better, but heck I was young and didn't know any difference.

Anyway, it looked really cool and today I have a Kustom 200 PA amp, wrapped in Naugahyde. I use it in my studio.

I sent Kustom an email a while back and suggested they start making Naugahyde covered products again. They sent back a nice reply and said if the demand for such things picked up, they would consider it. It's all just business I guess.

Is it just me or do you people near my age think that things back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's were just a lot cooler than things today?

4 comments:

  1. I guess it depends on what your definition of "cool" is. Ipods are pretty cool, so are the latest cellphones (camera, phone, computer all in one tiny package), computers, ... all pretty cool.

    I do like older cars better. Cars today have no imagination, no classic style.

    You could always put jewels, glitter and lights on your current amps, make them look retro...

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never was in to those, but I will admit it looks cool as you say. I guess coolness is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too. Brings back lots of memories and explains why I can't hear very well! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well sweet wifey, I always thought you were pretty cool.

    Ron, it sounded pretty cool too but I was always able to drive the speakers to distortion. Not so with my state of the art SWR 750X. It just gets louder and louder and louder until you can't stand it.

    Yes Sue, that's probably why my ears ring all the time.

    ReplyDelete