If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Thursday, December 10, 2009

EPIDEMIC! Failure to See the Family Doctor!

A new day's work has begun. My first patient is a middle aged man with back and hip pain for over a week. He told me he has a history of gout.

"Have you considered seeing your family doctor about this?" I inquired.

That thought had not crossed his mind. I offered him some treatment and advised him to call his family doctor TODAY for an appointment.

My second patient is a YOUNG man with "headaches for some time". I do an exam and determine there is no emergent condition.

"Have you considered seeing your family doctor about this?" I inquired.

That thought had not crossed his mind. I offered him some treatment and advised him to call his family doctor TODAY for an appointment.

When I launched the suggestion of seeing the family doctor, I was met with BLANK STARES from both. You could tell that this was a completely foreign idea.

Afterward I checked. Both of these people had Tenncare (gubment run health plan). Both of them were unemployed. Both of them looked as able to work as did the nurse and I. Both of them had family doctors. If you have Tenncare, you are assigned a family doctor.

So there is pretty much no excuse for appearing in an ER with non-emergent complaints that have been going on for days or weeks. However, seeing the family doctor seems to be the farthest thing from the minds of these people.

I have enough of a problem paying for someone else's healthcare (especially when they are able to work) but when they are too lazy or inept to even make an appointment with their family doctor, it really frosts me. Personal responsibility should be a requirement if you're going to get on the gubment option.

If Barry and the Dimocrats have their way, this problem will only get worse.

3 comments:

  1. Well, you know all too well this isn't a new phenomenon. But it should be a perfect example to those who think government run health care is a good idea.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whadda you do if you DON'T have a family Doc? Hell, I still claim YOU as my family doc! Aint that a pisser. Course I don't go to the E-room for a headache or gout. As a matter of fact I don't go to the emergency room for anything unless I feel the overwhelming compunction to be defibrillated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzard, if I ever open up an office again (don't hold your breath), I'll buy a defibrillator just for you.

    ReplyDelete