If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Monday, March 15, 2010

Red Robin Lays an Egg

Well, it never fails. Just when you think things are gonna get on an even keel and people are gonna start doing what they are supposed to do, you have an experience that again shakes your faith. Sweet Wifey, she is oh so sweet, and I went out last night for a movie and dinner. We went to see Hurt Locker. I had not really paid much attention to this, but after it won Oscars etc, and since I like war shows I thought we'd give it a try. It was pretty good. I'd recommend it if you like that sort of thing.

I had a craving for a gourmet burger, so afterward we went over to Red Robin. We were seated immediately and the waitress took our order. I ordered steak sliders, a new menu item, and they were oh so tasty......so I have no complaints about the food.

Problem is the waitress NEVER came back to check on us. The place was not that busy and I watched her spend most of her time at a table where her co-workers were sitting. They were laughing and talking and just having a good old time. I also watched her waiting on another group in a booth near the window. She just couldn't give them enough service, refilling their drink glasses, and I could swear she even wiped one dude's ass. In the meantime, we ate our food, our drink glasses ran dry and we never saw or heard from her.

We finished and wanted to pay. We waited and waited and waited and nobody came to bring a check. Wifey finally flagged down another employee. In a few minutes our waitress came running and she was oh so sorry! I told her that it was her responsibility to check on her customers throughout the meal and see if there was anything at all that they needed.

She proceeded to explain that she had just had a terrible night and that she usually was not assigned our booth and that she just simply forgot about us and um .....and um.......and um....and that she was really a great server......and um........and um.............

She said, "If you'll wait just a minute, I'll make it up to you."

"I'd rather you just swiped my credit card. We've waited long enough." I grumbled.

She wouldn't take no for an answer and she returned with a 20 dollar gift certificate to Red Robin.......and she was just oh so sorry.........and she hoped we'd keep coming back to Red Robin.

Well, the fact of the matter is, I love Red Robin, and we would have come back anyway. Seems like these places like Zzounds, Musician's Friend, and now Red Robin, have a propensity to hire all these pimply faced teenagers that just don't get it. If her head had been in the game, how could she have simply "forgotton" about us? Her mind was obviously somewhere else and not on the job. And if she was such a great server, instead of sitting at a table with her co-workers laughing and joking, she would have been going around to her tables checking on her customers.

I almost asked to speak to the manager, but that might have gotten her fired..........nah, probably not, the manager was more than likely not far above a pimply faced teenager. He/she probably would have said, "I'm sorry, there's nothing more I can do."

Sigh.......where do they find these people? Work is not a social hour. That's why they call it work. Oh well, I can use my 20 dollar gift card next time I get a craving for a gourmet burger. Life is good!

I did not leave a tip. I cannot remember when I have not left a tip, but I was not going to pay her for ignoring us. The moral of the story for servers is:

The guy at your table may be a rich doctor with a huge tip. Wipe his ass just to be on the safe side!

9 comments:

  1. We both like eating at Red Robin, but their waitresses/servers have a bad habit of NOT coming back to check on their customers, refill glasses, or anything. I can only remember ONE time that they did that, and that was when they seated us next to a bunch of wild children when the place was almost empty. I asked to be seated away from the screaming, kicking urchins and the waitress was very nice after that.

    There is no excuse.

    I thought you controlled your temper nicely. You're really not a grouch, just a sweetie, unless you are mistreated.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had gotten really ugly I figure she would have had a major breakdown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Grouch your wife looks like a girl in her twenty's!! FK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,

    I married her when she was 21 years old. She looks the same today as she did then. She's got the longest legs I ever did see on a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw shucks!

    It's nice that you see me through 21 year old eyes even today.

    I'm lucky.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, yall are both lucky people, thas why I luvs ya both.
    In regards to Red Robin, haven't been there mostly because of poor reviews from friends regarding the lack of service. As far as a good burger is concerned, Wimpy's in Greenfield has NO MATCH!!!
    Nite,
    Lizzard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lizzard, I dunno about Wimpy's but if you've never tried Red Robin you can't really make a comparison. What time are you and Booger gonna pick me up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be grateful that she spoke English!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Findalis, it could always be worse.

    ReplyDelete