If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Big Blow at Lost Creek

I was down at the marina this afternoon working on my boat trailer when it began to thunder to the north. I hurried to get done and then hurried home with my trailer in tow. By the time I pulled up in front of the house it was coming a helluva storm. I just sat in the truck watching, not willing to risk a run into the house. Lightning was popping and the wind was twisting the tops of all the big trees around me. I watched a couple of tree tops fall in the woods and smaller limbs were hitting my truck.

Our power was out for a good while so we decided to go across the Beech River (where they still had power) and get a bite to eat. This is what we found:

Trees down in a neighbor's yard about 3 blocks away.
More of the same.
Their camper trailer covered in branches.
Their house literally cut in half by a large trunk. Fortunately, they were not at home during the storm.
A smaller tree at the top of our hill, snapped like a toothpick.

These storms came up rather suddenly. We were under no watches or warnings. They came in from the northeast and were moving southwest, rather unusual. We live on the northeast side of the hill so we are usually shielded from the gust front of thunderstorms, but not this time.

We had nothing but a lot of small limbs all over the place. Sweet Wifey and I are thankful. I hope our neighbors are well insured.

1 comment:

  1. Yes we are very thankful. It was really rough but didn't last long at all, and very little rain.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete