If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Easy Rider Fades into the Sunset

A favorite actor of mine, Dennis Hopper, died yesterday of prostate cancer at age 74. If you're old enough and not dead from the neck up, you remember Hopper's acclaim to fame in the movie Easy Rider, in which he directed and also starred with Peter Fonda.

In most of his roles it always seemed that he portrayed an unorthodox and rebellious character and in fact he was that way in real life. He apparently had a long and troubled time with the women in his life, being married and divorced numerous times.

Wifey and I enjoyed watching him in the Starz network series "Crash" where he played the drug addicted and emotionally volatile character, Ben Cendars. I can't think of another actor better cast for this role.

I'll miss seeing Dennis Hopper.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Grouch,

    The thing that sticks out most in my semi-fogged brain from the sixties is that Easy Rider was the first time I ever saw Jack Nicholson. Nick! Nick!

    On a completely different note my wife and I finally renewed our online subscription to the Buffalo River Review. Very sad to see the devastation in Perry Co. Our good friends at Avaleen Springs Bed & Breakfast were completely wiped out.

    We are hoping to get up there this fall. Is the Commodor Hotel still open? As we now have nowhere to stay.

    Lock & Load!!!

    Sons & Daughters of Liberty Unite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy Rider changed my life when I saw it. Billy was my fave...even tho Wyatt WAS Peter Fonda. Loved Dennis in Hoosiers. He sacred me in Blue Velvet...the movie he thought he as nominated for an Academy Award instead of Hoosiers. He will be missed...

    And I agree with "L". Jack Nicholson has come a long way since "Nic, nic". "So you wanna be a bird????"

    ReplyDelete
  3. L. I don't know anything about the Commodore Hotel. I am a Decatur Countian, not a Perry Countian so I don't really keep up.

    Sue, I dunno if Easy Rider changed my life but i think I saw it 4 or 5 times when it first came out. I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 7 times. I need to watch them both again.

    ReplyDelete