If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Saturday, May 22, 2010

In Defense of Rand Paul

Well the left has proceeded to trash Rand Paul, Republican senate candidate for Kentucky. They are claiming that Paul wants to repeal the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Of course Paul never said this. What he did say was that he thought the law went too far in that it regulated discrimination by private bidness.

I agree with Rand Paul. I can take the purely libertarian view on this issue which would be that the gubment has no bidness telling private individuals how to act and behave. The key word here is PRIVATE! I do not believe in discrimination and any private bidnessman in this day and age would be foolish to select customers on strictly racial lines. After all, black is black, white is white, but money is always green. But I stop at the notion that the gubment should be able to dictate to me who I will or won't serve. I guess with me as a physician it goes even farther in that I believe no physician should discriminate against anyone based on race. To do so would violate my oath in the eyes of Hippocrates and God. However, if I am the owner of a restaurant or corner grocery store, I have no such ethical obligation.

Regulation of private bidness has opened the Pandora's Box to other areas of regulation. Now the gubment tries to tell you what to eat, when you can and can't smoke, prohibition of gun rights in restaurants etc........hey if the gubment says no to guns in restaurants aren't they violating my second amendment rights? What about that? Funny how the gubment operates in ala carte manner when it comes to which of our rights they think they can take away. What will they think of next?

I am old enough to remember when there were separate black and white waiting rooms, when blacks sat in the back of the bus, went to separate schools, and could not go in to some restaurants. Back then I did not think much of it. It seemed the norm (gimme a break, I was just a kid). Today I find such behavior reprehensible. No doubt the Civil Rights Act was needed and necessary.

I'm sure the left will do their dead level best to trash what appears to be an honest and decent man, but I would expect nothing less from them. The talking heads on Fox yesterday didn't seem to think this would hurt Paul very much but they felt he did need to be very careful about the things he said.

OMG! Wouldn't wanna offend anyone, now would we?

1 comment:

  1. John Stossell has a segment on Fox Business channel on this very thing. He is a strong Libertarian. I agree, private businesses, homes, landlords, should be able to make their own decisions about their own property.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete