If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A New Toy for the Grouch

Well, I often say to people, "you're too old to be acting like that." So I guess I better take a look in the mirror next time. As of this afternoon, I am the proud owner of a Kawasaki 1700 Vulcan Nomad. I found a place in Dyersburg, Outerlimits Powersports, and they made me a deal I could not refuse. They even took pictures of me and sweet Wifey to put on their website. Nice folks.

Years ago after we first met, we used to ride, but I gave it up when I went to college. I figured I had better spend time studying instead of riding. It was a good decision at the time, but lately I've had the urge again. Sweet Wifey said she'd ride with me if I got another one. I think she was reluctant at first but today she was helmet shopping and picked herself out a couple of pairs of riding glasses so I think she's getting back into it.

This bike is nothing like my bikes of yesteryear. For one thing, IT'S BIG. The biggest bike I had ever had before this was a 750cc. It's like a gooney bird while it's sitting still and I'm gonna need to find a private place where nobody will laugh and do some slow speed practicing. Once I got it out on the road though and I heard the rumble of the V-twin and felt it in my butt, all the love I had felt for motorcycles long ago came rushing back. I cranked it up to between 65 and 70 on the divided highway between Dyersburg and Jackson, set the cruise control (yes, cruise control), and let the good times roll. It is a 100 mile trip from Dyersburg to home so I got a good workout, with plenty of open road, a short stretch of I-40, and some stop and go in Jackson and Lexington. One real trick is trying to figure out how to park it on my hill. I headed uphill and then backed it downhill under the carport next to my music room. It's gonna take some practice. You just can't manhandle an 850 pound motorcycle. Can you tell I'm stoked?

7 comments:

  1. Grouch,

    That bike is DEFINITELY you! ;o)

    R.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you so happy with your new toy. You deserve it.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruthh.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really cool, hope you two have plenty of fun on the open road. Side car for penny?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful out there...it's dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. I am being careful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Careful, PLEASE! Everyone I've known personally who rode one has been in an accident with a car or truck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I ain't bragging but I've never had an accident with a car or truck. I laid one down once when I hit a patch of ice.....no major damage. I was thrown off a dirt bike when I tried to jump a barbed wire fence........nothing hurt but my pride. I'm always very very careful on the highway.

    ReplyDelete