If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Violence in U.S. Hospitals

Sweet Wifey posted an article at Right Truth titled, "Violence on the rise in US hospitals, or is it?" Please go HERE to read.

Here's my 2 cents:

Most of the problems we have at our hospital are due to the drug seeking crowd, especially narcotics like hydrocodone and oxycodone. The creeps will come in with all kinds of invented stories but in the end, the goal is to make a big narcotic score. Many times these people will sell any narcotics they are able to acquire.

This type of thing seems to be somewhat worse than it used to be. I think part of this is due to the advent of Tenncare. Scumbags from all over the country came to Tennessee in droves to obtain "free" healthcare. Tennessee is number 1 in the nation for hydrocodone prescriptions and my theory on this is that it is all due to Tenncare. Imagine, move in, sit on your ass, collect welfare, take drugs and sell drugs to make cash for all those important things and live off the taxpayers' dime! Life is good! The rest of you will get to enjoy when Obamacare kicks in!

If they fail to convince us to supply them with narcotics (if I am working, failure is almost a certainty), they will frequently become loud, agitated, and sometimes threatening.

I have been threatened a few times and I make it a point to stare the creep down with my best "take your best shot" stare. A favorite tactic of mine is to take my EMS radio and have the dispatcher summon the police to my location. I do this right in front of the creep and most of the time they will cut a trail out the door.

More frequently the creeps are abusive to the nursing and ancillary staff and not so much the doctors. They tend to pick on the people they perceive as weaker and in a position of lesser authority, although I can tell you there are some nurses you don't wanna mess with.

Most of the nurses know that I concealed carry and a couple have even asked me if I am packing on duty. I just smile and tell them they will never know for sure unless I have to shoot someone. Some of the other employees have inquired about carrying guns too. The hospital has an "official" policy of prohibiting firearms on the premises.......yeah, like that's really gonna stop a drug crazed creep. Again I defer to the second amendment.

I have always thought it would be cool if the glorious federal gubment would make it a federal crime to assault a healthcare worker, similar to the law that protects postal workers. Hell, if Barry has his way, we'll all be gubment employees before long anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Just posted your comment/article with no problem at Right Truth. Now come and snuggle me and Penny in bed...

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepadl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sad state of affairs when people who spend their lives helping sick folks are threatened while doing their jobs. I think you are right, the bad guys can detect fear and pick out the weaker person in the crowd to attack. Seems like you handle it the best way.

    Drug seekers are unpredictable and you seem to get more than one hospital's fair share of these.

    Thanks for taking the time to write this response to the Joint Commission report. I posted your comments in total last night, this morning the comment was gone, vanished. So I'm going to have a talk with TypePad and see what's going on.)

    ReplyDelete