If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Indecisive, Dishonest, no Priorities!

Each and every year in May, I go to the Dayton Hamvention. I think the last time I didn't go was in 1995. This past May, after the Hamvention was over, if you had asked me what I was going to be doing in May 2011, I would without hesitation have told you that I would be going to the Dayton Hamvention.

It's really funny but on many occasions, I have asked other people (ham radio operators) if they are going to the Dayton Hamvention next year. The response I frequently get is this:

"Welllllllll, I just don't know what I might be doing in May of next year. I'd like to go but I just don't know."

I will in return reply, "Well, next May I am going to the Dayton Hamvention. If anything else comes up, I'll either miss it or it will have to wait."

And this pretty much includes things such as graduation ceremonies (those frequently happen in May), weddings, funerals, Mother's Day events (my mother is dead but I would still go to Dayton if she were alive), other various and sundry celebrations. I figure if people can't plan their events on a weekend other than the Dayton Hamvention, then they won't see me there, it's that simple. Don't even think about dying. I won't be at your funeral. I don't believe in funerals anyway.

Now, really and truly, the people that hem and haw about going to Dayton really don't want to go. Some of them are afraid they might have to spend a little money, although I usually spend very little at Dayton. Some of them know that their wives won't let them go and are simply afraid to admit it. Others claim they have to work, but let's face it, a year in advance, most people should be able to arrange time off from work for a single weekend.

Basically what we are dealing with here is indecisiveness and dishonesty. Why not just say, "I really don't want to go to Dayton. It doesn't interest me that much." or "I am pussy whipped. My wife won't let me go!" It's not that tough just to tell the truth, although I know it's tough to admit you're pussy whipped.

Frequently, I'll invite people on Facebook or in person to attend live shows by the band, the Morbid Strangers. What I frequently hear is, "Wellllll, I would really like to come. I just don't know what might be going on Saredee night."

C'mon, if you REALLY wanted to come you would come! Just say, "Sorry, I have other plans." or "The band sucks, I don't wanna come."

I don't ever remember seeing anyone that said they would "really like to come". They NEVER come.

A frequent excuse often has something to do with their children. People like to hide behind their kids. As far as I am concerned, people should have puppies rather than children. The amount of personal time one has to surrender in the name of kids is just not worth it.......but that's just me. Yes! I am a selfish bastard!

One of the most outrageous excuses I ever heard was from a ham radio operator who declined an invitation to a ham radio meeting. I was told by this particular person that he would not be able to find a babysitter. The funny thing was that this was going to be a Thanksgiving meeting in November. The invitation was made to this ham operator in JULY! Now I guess this person really expected me to believe that it would be impossible to find a baby sitter in 4 MONTHS? On the other hand, perhaps his kids were such little sh*ts that NOBODY would volunteer to watch them, which brings me back to my declaration of having puppies instead of children. We finally decided that this ham operator's wife was the culprit and would not let him attend. He later divorced his wife..............or she divorced him..............I'm not sure exactly how it was.

As for me, sweet Wifey, she is so sweet, will tell you that if I wanna do something, I'm gonna do it, and just about the only thing that is going to foil my plans is either death or a hospital stay. On the other hand, I have never been one to sugar coat stuff just to make other people feel better. If someone asks me to do something that is not my cup of tea, rather than do a lengthy song and dance, I'll just say, "Thanks but no thanks!"

It's better just to make a quick and firm decision than to wallow aimlessly in excuses. I know plenty of people that cannot make a decision to save their lives and this really bugs me. I guess my profession demands that I make decisions and run with them, but some people out there are really wimpy thangs!

Life is too short for dishonesty and indecision!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you sweet hubby.

    Yes, if he wants to do something ... he does it. If he does NOT want to do something, he won't do it. That's him.

    I know every year when my birthday and mother's day comes around... it's Dayton time and Ham radio convention.

    I also know when our anniversary comes around, it's Mt. Nebo Arkansas time (ham radio). No problem remembering those times.

    I may start planning a vacation for myself during Dayton and Nebo.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could plan a trip or you could come to Dayton wimmie, sweet Petunia.

    ReplyDelete