If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

In the Name of Religion and Free Speech

I'm reading here where a girl, Ariana Iacono, in North Carolina was suspended from school over her nose ring. The kicker is that now she is embroiled in a legal battle claiming her first amendment rights have been violated.

Supposedly she and her mother belong to the Church of Body Modification and therefore she has a right to have a nose ring.

Well, I can't say that I have ever heard of the Church of Body Modification. If has always disturbed me how people can claim to do weird stuff in the name of religion. It bothers me too how people can tack "reverend" in front of their name with little or no qualification......like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Suddenly you're a "reverend" and a self appointed expert.

I suppose I could start the "Church of Crack Smoking Lunatics" and it would be my constitutional right to smoke crack on a daily basis without gubment interference.

Or perhaps I could start "The Church of Elephant Intercourse" and have sex with my pet pachyderm each and every day.

Seems like I remember where our friendly Mormons got in a bit of hot water over the multiple wife thing.

Where does it all end?

If it were left up to me, I guess I'd just have to tell Ariana Iacono to lose the nose ring, go to school, sit down, shut up, and try to learn what little bit the gubment school might teach her which admittedly might not be much.

I gotta wonder what Ariana's body modified mother must look like. I bet she's a babe!

1 comment:

  1. Creepy picture. I suppose you can claim anything to be a church these days, get tax exempt status, claim freedoms you are not eligible for. Just find an internet site, send them a couple of dollars and get your "Rev" of whatever certificate. Maybe you should start a church for us, "The Church of TEA party insurgents, gun loving, Bible toting, Conservatives" who find it offensive and against our religion to be forced to pay taxes and buy health insurance and fund a corrupt government? Think it would work?

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete