If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Turnovers

I have already received a thumbs down from a Cincinnati Bengals fan who was upset that the Titans couldn't do away with the Pittsburgh Steelers today. Alas, the Titans went down in defeat 19-11 at the hands of the black and gold.

When you eat turnovers all day (there were 8 of them) instead of play football it's pretty hard to beat anyone. The Steelers ran back the opening kickoff for a touchdown which didn't help matters either. Vince Young after a flurry of interceptions and fumbles was replaced by Kerry Collins. Collins didn't do much better as he generated his own set of turnovers. Even our favorite running back, Chris Johnson, only gained 34 yards and had his very own fumble.

I think the turning point was when Steeler safety Troy Polamalu, perhaps one of the greatest to play IMO at that position, intercepted Vince Young in the end zone and thwarted what appeared to be a sure touchdown. From there things seemed to spiral downhill.

In spite of all this, the Titans only lost by 8 points and were just a touchdown pass and a few clock ticks short of sending the game into an overtime tie.

So what's going on here? Is the Titans' defense that great or did the Steelers' offense just suck that much? Yeah, I know the Steelers had to play with Charlie Batch at QB, but I am hopeful that the Titans pretty much no-name defense turns out to be better than I expected.

The bottom line is that if the offense had put on even a mediocre performance today, the Titans would have won handily. I'm hoping the offense works out its problems and the defense holds steady.

Apologies to you Bengals fans.

By the way, sweet Wifey would tell you that the Titans lost because of those wimpy white and pale blue uniforms.

3 comments:

  1. Apology accepted! When I first "got on your case" about it, I didn't even know Vince had been pulled. And, as much as I hate to admit it, I agree with your Troy, "the hair", P. assessment. Tell Debbie I also agree with her about the "pretty" uniforms, but I would hate to hear her critique of my Bengals' "halloween" regalia. LOL You two have a GREAT week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not alone in my assessment of the Titans wimpy uniforms. Last week on the radio, the sports announcers began their program with "We have the Raiders looking tough in their Black and Silver and at the other end of the field we have the Titans, A SEA OF PALE BLUE" Argh! That really sounds frightening, doesn't it?

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, as long as they were cherry turnovers, I'd be eating them too!

    ReplyDelete