If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Sunday, November 14, 2010

An Earmark I Could Support

Sometimes politics just makes my head hurt. Now I'm hearing all this bickering about earmarks, mostly from Republicans. Some say earmarks represent nothing more than pork barrel spending and are nothing more than bribes designed to result in arm twisting to convince legislators to vote a certain way.

Earmark supporters say that if congress does not decide to spend money with earmarks then the spending decisions will fall to the executive branch.

WHAT? I just don't get it. It seems like there is just a big pile of OUR MONEY just sitting there waiting to be spent and a big fight going on all the time over who is going to spend it and on what.

Hey, I have a novel idea. Let's just NOT SPEND IT AT ALL. What say just GIVE IT BACK to the taxpayers or at least start paying off the national debt with it? That's right! Let's have the money EARMARKED to be given back to the taxpayers! Now that's an earmark I could support. What am I missing? Could someone explain it to me?

5 comments:

  1. That's the most asinine argument I've ever heard, trying to blame it on the executive branch, when this certain little document states in no uncertain terms:

    "No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time."

    Since when does the executive branch have law-making power?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably because the executive branch is the one that comes up with the budget I guess. It stinks if you axe me. Too bad they didn't axe me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They never axe anyone who could set them straight.

    And the president only PROPOSES a budget - Congress can do with that whatever they want. Hence, the reason we had no budget this year since they lacked the testicular fortitude to pass one before the elections...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Testicular fortitude".....I like that.

    ReplyDelete