If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rants About Grants

While just tooling around the internet this morning I noticed a couple of ads talking about GRANT money with which the users can go back to school.



The dictionary defines grant as:

to bestow or confer, especially by a formal act.

Grant.....it sounds so nice and tidy doesn't it? And it makes it sound as if the person or entity providing the grant is kind, honest, and magnanimous, doesn't it. The hospital here is always looking for grant money and they are glad when they get it, but I always have to take a step back every time I think of a GUBMENT grant. If a crook broke into my house and cleaned me out and then later decided to give me back my big screen TV it would be much the same as a gubment grant. I think it is mighty damn big of the gubment to grant me some money that belongs to me in the first place.

Most of the gubment grants the hospital manages to get require difficult, expensive, and time consuming exercises in futility which require us to jump through hoop after hoop to make sure we "qualify" for the grant. Yes indeedy, we have to QUALIFY to receive our own money. Of course with the grant comes regulation, stipulation, and CONTROL. And the crook said, "I'll only give you back your big screen TV if you agree to come mow my lawn once a week."

Of course in the grand scheme of things this is just another avenue for the redistribution of wealth. They take from those of us that work and give grants to those that do not. Of course in that case it's not really grants, it's welfare, but whatever you choose to call it, the money all comes from the same place, the taxpayer.

In my perfect world, there would be no such thing as grants. In my perfect world, the gubment would not be taking my money from me in the first place. No, they would just leave me alone with the money I had earned. I would be free to spend or invest it any way I chose. There would be no qualifications, no stipulations, to regulation, no gubment control. Ahhhh for the perfect world!

Next time you hear about someone getting a grant......think about the big picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment