If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Motorcycles and Past Decisions

After my last post I got to thinking back about other motorcycles I had owned and what might have been if other twists and turns of fate had been followed. First of all, were it not for motorcycles I might have never met sweet Wifey. If you have not read the account of how we met, go HERE NOW and read. Now that you're back realize that as I pulled up to her stalled car at the red light, I was right next to her driver's side window gazing down at her nice long legs. Had I been in my car, I would not have been able to see, and probably not have realized she was stalled. You pay attention to a lot more stuff when you are on a motorcycle. That motorcycle in 1972 was a Kawasaki 750 H2 Mach IV.
 
This was a beast of a machine. It had a 74 horsepower engine and had the best power to weight ratio of any motorcycle on the street. Without a doubt it was the quickest and the fastest 750 around. The H2 had a bad reputation. Its sudden burst of power could be an unpleasant surprise to the unsuspecting rider. The front wheel could easily come off the ground and there were many stories of crackups and accidents with this machine. I had had a Kawasaki 500 before this one which was actually even more unpredictable so by the time I advanced to the 750 I pretty much had mastered the machine.

It was also not the most comfortable thing to ride. After a half hour or so my butt would be uncomfortably numb. It also was not environmentally friendly. Such a machine would never make it today. The environmental wackos would have a stroke over it. It had after all a 2 stroke, oil injected, 3 cylinder engine. Like any conventionally aspirated and ported 2 stroke, it smoked, and when you were really winding it up it left an obvious trail of blue smoke behind. It also sounded weird. Instead of the throaty thump thump of my Vulcan today, the H2 produced a rather steady whine which converted to almost a scream when you really wound it up.

It was rough on chains and back tires. I went through 2 chains, 2 sprockets, and one rear tire in the relatively short time I had it.

Nevertheless, it was the motorcycle on which I found sweet Wifey. We rode many places and saw many sights on it during our summer of love in 1972.

Late in 1973 we decided that the smart thing for me to do was go back to college with the idea of eventually getting into medical school. At the young age of 20 I decided that it would probably be wise for me to be studying instead of riding around on a motorcycle. We were young and didn't have much money and the funds from the sale of the motorcycle would be welcomed as well. So in the summer of 1973, I sold the H2 and I did not ride motorcycles again until I got the Vulcan last year.

Many times I have wished I still had that old H2. They discontinued the model in 1978 and even if I had one now I probably couldn't find the parts to keep it running. Indeed the Kawasaki H2 is relegated to history along with a bunch of other thing that were cool and state of the art when I was a kid.

The happy ending is that I still have sweet Wifey and another motorcycle and we can ride once again!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you drove by that day, took a look and found me worthy sweet hubby. I'm also glad you have another motorcycle, I know you have wanted one for quite a while.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete