If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Fox News - The Debate that Wasn't

I finally got around to watching the Republican debate from last Thursday in South Carolina. My reaction in a word was "DISAPPOINTED". It was not the candidates, it was Fox News. It was not really a debate at all. The interviewers from Fox basically cherry picked specific questions for specific candidates, so in a nutshell we knew what one candidate thought about a certain topic but we did not necessarily know what the others thought. And this business of "showing of hands" was ridiculous. Perhaps the viewers would like to know why a candidate raised his hand or not.

It would have been so much better if they had had questions and allowed each of the candidates to respond, but unfortunately Fox did not call me up and ask my advice on the format.

When it was all over my favorite candidates turned out to be Herman Cain and Ron Paul. Cain I think has an advantage of never having held office. He has no baggage and nothing negative to defend. His answers were short and to the point and loaded with common sense and conservative values. Although there are a couple of big areas where I disagree with Ron Paul, I am about 80 percent libertarian and I really like most of what he has to say. Paul's strong stand on state's rights is impressive.

My least favorite candidate was Tim Pawlenty. I guess I already had preconceived notions about Pawlenty anyway and my perceptions are that of a "moderate" and even a RINO. In the debate he was TOO POLISHED and TOO SCRIPTED and took many round about ways to deliver vague answers, unlike Herman Cain who shot from the hip. My big dislike of Pawlenty was his support of some form of Cap and Trade legislation. He apologized for this and said later his position was a mistake. Unfortunately he is trying to close the barn door after the horse has escaped. If he was willing to support Cap and Tax Trade he either:

1. Believes in the hoax of man-made global warming.

OR

2. Is willing to allow the Dimocrats to set the agenda and then come up with a "better plan" to take care of the hoax.

In any case this is not the kind of thinking we need in a position of leadership. Mitt Romney (not at the debate) has the same problem with Romneycare. If either Romney or Pawlenty turns out to be the Republican nominee, they will not get my vote in the general election.

I am hoping the next debate will be more of a debate where the candidates will all have a chance to respond to the same questions.

1 comment:

  1. I agree.

    We have had several calls at home from the RNC etc. wanting donations. I tell them we will no longer donate to the organizations, but to individual candidates. They just keep on with their scripted comments. I finally told the last guy "Look, you are not listening to me. I'm not giving you one thin dime."

    "OK, thank you," he says.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete