If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

River in the Rain

One of my favorite artists is the late, great, Roger Miller. Some of you young folks might not even be familiar with the name. Most of you are probably familiar with some of his biggest hit songs including "King of the Road", "Dang Me", and "England Swings". Miller was hard to classify, not exactly country, not exactly pop, not exactly rock and roll, but rather he had a style all his own.

As with many musical geniuses, Roger Miller was taken from us at the young age of 56, succumbing to cancer. It is another one of those cases where I have to think of what might have been had he lived longer.

Many of you are probably not familiar with his song, "River in the Rain". In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Its haunting words and melody make it one I can listen to over and over again. During this time of terrible flooding along the Mississippi River, I came up with a little video presentation based on this song. Hope you enjoy.

River in the rain,
sometimes at night you look
like a long white train.
Winding your way away somewhere.
River I love you, don't you care?

If you're on the run,
winding someplace just trying to find the sun.
Whether the sunshine, whether the rain,
river I love you just the same.

But sometimes in a time of trouble,
when you're out of hand and
your muddy bubbles,
roll across my floor.

Carrying away the things I treasure,
hell there ain't no way to measure,
why I love you more,
than I did the day before.

River in the rain,
sometimes at night you look
like a long white train.
Winding your way away from me.
River I've never seen the sea.

But sometimes in a time of trouble,
when you're out of hand and
your muddy bubbles,
roll across my floor.

Carrying away the things I treasure,
hell there ain't no way to measure,
why I love you more,
than I did the day before.

River in the rain,
sometimes at night you look
like a long white train.
Winding your way away from me.
River I've never seen the sea.

2 comments:

  1. I think YOU sing it better. Nice tribute.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely divine, Grouch. It's been a long time since I've seen the Mississippi..this brought back some memories.

    BTW, speaking of things Delta,today is Robert Johnson's birthday.

    Fond Regards,
    Rob Miller

    ReplyDelete