If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Life is all about CHOICES. Choose NOT to Text and Drive

It's one of my pet peeves, texting (or cellphoning) while driving. It's dangerous and distracting. I have become even more aware of it since I started riding motorcycles again. As I approach a busy intersection, I notice the other driver gazing off into space, talking or texting. They are surely not looking out for me. I pass cars on the interstate with the driver just texting away. What could possibly be so important to risk not only their neck but the necks of others?

Here's a study that declares over half of high school seniors have been guilty of texting while driving. Over half! That's a lot. Most of these kids this age can't drive worth a damn anyway and they certainly don't need the added distraction. Sadly, I am afraid many of them don't have very good role models. I know of several adults that are just as guilty. It is not uncommon to watch a thread scroll by on Facebook as someone informs all of us as to their location and the sights along the way.......real important stuff, mind you. One night I watched as a nurse (she should know better) texted while driving down the interstate in the snow.

You know I am not big on gubment laws and controls, but in this case I'm willing to make an exception. I think there should be penalties for texting while driving at least as stiff as those for DUI. One penalty should be loss of all mobile devices for a period of time. Service providers would be required to cut off the offender.

Give me the old days of cool breezes and pay phones!

4 comments:

  1. I think it is against the law to use your cellphone while driving, unless you have a hands-free set up. You can't exactly text "hands free". Apparently the police are not enforcing the laws, or they only do so after an accident has occurred.

    Debbie
    Right Truth
    http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't seem to have trouble nabbing people for seat belts. Heck with those sneaky traffic cams they could look right in there and seem'em texting. If all else fails they could police the interstate highways with drones.

      Delete
  2. I gotta agree with ya. If you text and drive , your an idiot ! I see it everyday...people driving all over the road and when you pull up next to the turds at a red light , sure enough there they are punching on their mobile devices ! Hell a lot of people can' t walk and chew gum at the same time, but they text and drive !

    ReplyDelete
  3. These idiots who text, put on make-up, shave, do the crossword puzzle, etc while driving should be forced to spend a few weeks in the ER and Morgue. Let us scare them silly.

    ReplyDelete