If you have something to say, post a comment. I will not respond to anonymous commenters, so if you care to joust with the GROUCH, open yourself a FREE GMAIL account and get yourself an ID so I'll know who you are.

If you'd like to be a guest contributor, email me at:
ka4p1@hotmail.com
Opinions of the guests are not necessarily the opinion of the GROUCH!

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Thoughts About George McGovern

Well, the flaming liberal senator from South Dakota, George McGovern passed away last week. I had not thought much about McGovern since he lost the 1972 presidential election to Nixon 520 to 17 electoral votes.

Nixon was my first vote for president. The main reason I liked Nixon was that he was making strides toward getting us out of Vietnam. Had it not been for a lottery number of 326, I could have been drafted and ended up in that awful place.

I had not thought of this until now, but McGovern was the first looney liberal I voted against. I don't really remember a lot of the specifics of McGovern. I was young then and had a lot of other stuff on my mind, but I do remember that I did not buy most of the balderdash he was spewing.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that McGovern was a war hero. He piloted a B-24 on 35 missions over Nazi held Europe and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. For his service and heroism, I honor him and humbly thank him. This fully indicates though that military service does not necessarily qualify someone for the presidency, nor does the lack of it disqualify a candidate.

In any case, George, I hope you find peace in the afterlife.

2 comments:

  1. His service to the nation and the fact that he didn't throw his medals away (As John Kerry did.) made me admire him for his views. I didn't have to agree with the views.

    McGovern and others of his generation worked with others in the Senate (and House) to run this nation. Something politicians of the younger generations should learn.

    ReplyDelete